International students should feel well-prepared.
Learn essential skills for college and get help with your UCI application.
UCI’s International Undergraduate Preparation Program (IUPP) is a comprehensive 9–12-month program, offered through UCI’s Division of Continuing Education. IUPP provides qualified international high school graduates with essential academic and language skills to improve their chances of being admitted to and excelling at a university in the US.
The IUPP Zot! program features:
- UCI undergraduate coursework, transferrable towards an undergraduate degree at UCI should the student be admitted
- Extensive advising from a dedicated and experienced academic counseling team
- Academic English support, including coursework and tutoring in English and/or university study skills
- American & Academic Culture workshops
- TOEFL iBT course and other test preparation opportunities
- A Conversation Partner, a current UCI student, who will meet with the IUPP student once a week
- An introduction to and interaction with the UCI campus, its prestigious faculty, its abundant resources, and its academic rigor
- Social events and excursions with other international and U.S. students
Special tracks available in Biological Sciences, Engineering, Business Economics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences. Find out more about our preparation programs.
Meet the minimum requirements for this international prep program.
Minimum requirements for this international prep program
- Completion of the equivalent of four years of U.S. high school (with diploma) with a final GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 (equivalent to 80%) in “A-G” courses
- No enrollment in courses at a university or college during the academic year following high school graduation; proof of activity during significant gaps between high school and application to IUPP
- Applicants with an active application to UC are not eligible for enrollment in IUPP
- English language proficiency for General Track:
- For 9 months of study (available for Fall only), at least 75 iBT TOEFL, 537 PBT TOEFL, or 6.0 IELTS
- For 12 months of study, 71 iBT TOEFL, 530 PBT TOEFL, or 6.0 IELTS
- English language proficiency for Specialized Track (all IUPP Specialized Tracks are 12 months long):
- For Winter, Spring, and Summer, at least 71 iBT TOEFL, 530 PBT TOEFL, or 6.0 IELTS
- For Fall, at least 75 iBT TOEFL, 537 PBT TOEFL, or 6.0 IELTS
- English language proficiency for Fundamentals Track:
- At least 43 iBT TOEFL, 443 PBT TOEFL, or 4.0 IELTS
- IUPP students not meeting the English requirements for academic study must enroll in UCI Division of Continuing Education’s 10-Week Intensive ESL Program until they meet the requirements
- Proof of sufficient financial support:
- $64,800 USD (9 and 12 months) for General Track
- $77,300 USD (12 months) for Specialized Track
- $23,000 USD (6 months) for Fundamentals Track
IUPP does not guarantee admission to UCI or any other university.