English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose native language is not English, and whose high school or college/university education was in a country where the language of instruction was not English, must provide evidence of English proficiency to be successful in university studies at UCI.
Various examinations may be used to demonstrate proficiency in English. The minimum accepted score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is 80 on the Internet-based test and 550 on the paper-based test.
Applicants may also demonstrate English proficiency in any of the following ways:
- Score 3, 4 or 5 on the AP examination in English Language and Composition or English Literature and Composition;
- Score 5, 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level Examination in English (Language A);
- Score 6 or higher on the IB Standard Level Examination in English (Language A);
- Score 7 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS);
- Score 560 or higher on the SAT Reasoning Test, Writing section
For additional information, please visit www.uci.edu