Check out our International Student Resource Guide and other publications that provide an overview of UCI and detail important aspects of student life.
Important information for international applicants.
Read about our admissions requirements for international students.
Secondary School Requirements:
To be considered for admission, international applicants must meet the same subject requirements for admissions as all other applicants.
You must have completed secondary school with excellent grades/marks in academic subjects and have earned a certificate of completion that enables you to be admitted to a university in your home country and is equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.
The following academic subject requirements must be completed with a minimum average GPA of 3.4:
- 2 years of history (in place of U.S. History, history of your country)
- 4 years of English (or in the language of instruction at your school)
- 3 years (four years recommended) of college-preparatory mathematics*
*Math courses taken in the seventh and eighth grades/intermediate school may be used to fulfill part of this requirement. Integrated math courses (e.g. Math I, Math II, etc.) with geometry content may be equated with a standard course in geometry.
- 2 years of college-preparatory laboratory science, including or integrating topics that provide fundamental knowledge in two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, or physics.
- 2 years of a second language
- 1 yearlong course (or 2 semesters) of visual and performing arts
- 1 additional course from any subject areas above
As an international student studying in a foreign education system, you may be required to meet additional requirements specific to your secondary school curriculum or country:
All freshman applicants must take the ACT with Writing OR SAT with Essay. Submission of SAT Subject Test scores is not required, but may add positively to the review of your application. For exam requirement details, visit the UC Admission Website.
Visit the ACT website to request that an official ACT score report be sent to UCI and use ACT College Code 0446. Visit the College Board website to request that an official SAT score report be sent to UCI and use College Board Code 4859.
English Proficiency Requirements
If your secondary/high school was completed in a country where English was not the language of instruction, or if you have less than three years of high school curriculum instruction in English in the U.S., you are required to demonstrate English proficiency.
Various examinations and scores may be used to demonstrate proficiency in English:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination: (school code: 4859)
- Internet-based test (IBT): score 80 or higher
- Revised paper-delivered test (completed Oct 2017 or later): score 60 or higher
- Score 3, 4 or 5 on the AP examination In English Language and Composition, or English Literature and Composition
- Score 5, 6 or 7 on the IB Higher Level examination in English (Literature, or Language and Literature)
- Score 6 or 7 on the IB Standard Level examination in English (Literature, or Language and Literature)
- Score 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Score 24 or higher on the ACT combined English/Writing or English Language Arts (ELA)
- Score 560 or higher on the Writing section of the SAT Reasoning test OR score 31 or higher on Writing and Language in the SAT with Essay
- Freshman applicants may complete one UC approved English composition course
International transfer applicants must meet the same transfer requirements for admission as any other applicant.
When You Apply and Fill Out the Application
When you apply to UCI, your academic record must be reported within the UC application. You do not need to send in your transcripts/academic records to UCI at this point, but you should refer to them as you fill out the application to ensure the information you entered is accurate.
Report all completed coursework as it appears on your academic records at each school. Do NOT convert scores yourself and be sure to include explanations if grades do not fit in the given space and are abbreviated.
If you have taken or will take external exams (e.g. IGCSE/GCSE/GCE exams, Year X/XII Board exams, SPM, etc.), report your subjects and grades/scores on the International External Exams page of the application.
If you reported external exams such as AP/IB/GCSEs/A Levels, you will be expected to complete all exams listed on your application.
International Student FAQs
Unfiltered Life at UCI is a student-run blog aiming to give an authentic snapshot of what life is like at UCI.
Set up a time to speak with one of our international admissions counselors.
Do you have what it takes to be an Anteater? Begin the process by sending us your information.